Herbal Chicken Soup with Bitter Melon
This easy to make chicken soup with bitter melon has the most amazing flavor. The ingredients are usually quite easy to obtain and it just takes about 15 minutes to prepare as a delicious lunch or part of a family style meal. We start with chunky chicken breast, and cook it in an herbal base made with lemongrass, coriander, galangal, garlic, and a little hot chili. These are then cooked into a soup along with Chinese bitter gourd. The combination of herbs mellows the bitterness of the gourd considerably as they cook together. The result is a delicious and hearty bowl of chicken soup like no other. It's one of our favorites.
Yield: 1 - 4 serving
Prep time: 3 Minutes
Cooking time: 8 - 10 Minutes
Ready in: Less than 15 Minutes
- 1/2 breast portion Chicken Meat
(skin removed, cut into small cubes)
- 1/2 Bitter melon
(Chinese bitter gourd)
- 3 - 4 Coriander / Cilantro Leaves
(plants with roots attached)
- 1 stalk Lemongrass
- 1 - 2 inch piece Galangal Root
- 2 - 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 or more Thai Hot Chilies
(or use mild red peppers)
- 1 Tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
(We use Coconut oil)
1) Cut the chicken into small cubes. Cut the bitter melon, remove the seeds and inner pulp, then cut it into bite-sized pieces.
2) Chop the coriander sprigs and leaves. Grind the galangal, garlic, and red chili together, into a rough pulp.
3) Fry the herbs in coconut oil for about 30 seconds, then add the chicken and fry slowly until cooked. Add water and bring to a boil.
4) Add the cut bitter melon and cook for 8 minutes, or until tender. turn off the heat and add chopped coriander leaves. Serve while hot, sprinkle with additional chopped coriander just before serving.
For more detailed information and a free video lesson, visit this web page: ThaiCookbook.tv/?rid=79