Spicy Sweet and Sour Relish for Seafood
This delicious relish or condiment is commonly known in Thai as Nam Jim Seafood
(นำจิมซีฟูด), or seafood dipping sauce. We use it to add spicy, sweet, and sour flavors to foods like fried or steamed fish, barbecued squid, and fish balls. It is also great on meat snacks and salads. It's quite easy to make up a small bowl anytime you need some. The ingredients are just water, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, shallots, garlic, and hot chilies. Here we used the green Thai hot chilies, but this relish is often made with the very hot bright red ones.
Yield: 1/2 Cup
Prep time: 4 Minutes
Cooking time: 1 Minutes
Ready in: 5 Minutes
- 5 - 6 Red Shallots
(cut in half, then thinly sliced)
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Lime juice
(or more to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon Thai Hot Chili
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped Garlic
- 1/4 cup Water
1) Peel and slice shallots. Cut 1 or 2 Thai hot chilies into very thin slices. Chop 1 or 2 cloves of garlic very fine. Squeeze 1 or 2 limes.
2) Dissolve the sugar in the water over low heat. Let it cool completely.
3) Stir the fresh ingredients, lime juice, and fish sauce into the sugar water. Let stand for 15 minutes, then serve.
For more detailed information and a free video lesson, visit this web page: ThaiCookbook.tv/?rid=55