Fried Egg over Rice
In Thailand, ordering a fried egg (Kai Dow) on top of your spicy-hot one-dish meal is about as ordinary as when you order french fries with your cheeseburger. The two just go together so well. We know that you might think it kind of weird that we want to show you how to fry an egg, because everybody knows how to fry an egg, right? But in Thailand we are very particular about our everyday foods, and Kai Dow is no exception. If you are ever lucky enough to fry an egg for a Thai friend, watch this video first for some easy to learn tips.
Yield: 1 serving
Prep time: 1 Minutes
Cooking time: 2 - 3 Minutes
Ready in: Less than 5 Minutes
- 1 Chicken Egg
- 1 Cup Thai Jasmine Rice
(piping hot steamed rice)
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 - 3 Thai Hot Chilies
(sliced very thin)
- 1/4 cup Fish Sauce
- 1 Cucumber
(cut into wedges)
1) Heat 1/2 cup of oil in a deep frying pan.
2) Add the egg and fry on one side for about a minute.
3) Avoid splashing hot oil over the egg so it stays bright yellow.
4) Cook until the edges and bottom are golden brown and crispy.
5) Serve over hot steamed rice, with cucumber and chili fish sauce.
For more detailed information and a free video lesson, visit this web page: ThaiCookbook.tv/?rid=51