Green Apple Salad
Som Tum is a traditional Thailand-style salad, usually made with green, unripened papaya. In some modern Thai recipes other fruits and vegetables are now used, creating a fusion with western flavors. This green apple salad recipe has a dressing made with tamarind fruit, lime juice, toasted rice, coconut sugar, fresh spearmint, and a small pinch of hot chili. It's has a delicious combination of sweet and sour, nutty, minty, and slightly spicy flavors, yet it is also fresh and clean, allowing the crisp and tart taste of a perfect Granny Smith green apple to come through.
Yield: 1 serving
Prep time: 5 Minutes
Ready in: 5 minutes
- 1 large Granny Smith Apple
- 2 Tablespoons Thai Fish Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Sugar
(palm sugar, light brown sugar)
- 1 Tablespoon Tamarind paste
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 teaspoons Toasted Ground Rice
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Spearmint Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
1) Prepare the dressing by combining fish sauce, sugar, tamarind paste, lime juice, toasted ground rice, and chili flakes.
2) Prepare the apple by slicing it into thin julienne style strips. You can also dice or slice the apple in any other way you prefer.
3) Plate the apple and top with dressing. Sprinkle with a little toasted rice and chili flake. Serve with lime wedge on the side.
For more detailed information and a free video lesson, visit this web page: ThaiCookbook.tv/?rid=129