Massaman Curry Paste
This recipe for Prik Kaeng Matsaman produces a lovely homemade style dark red curry paste that is a great starting point when you want to make Massaman Beef or other Massaman Curry dishes. You can always buy a packaged curry, but there's nothing more satisfying in Thai cooking than making your own from all the raw ingredients. Kaeng Matsaman is a southern style curry that is rich with the flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cumin, and coriander seed.
Yield: 5 - 6 Tablespoons
Prep time: 30 Minutes
Ready in: 30 Minutes
- 15 Thai Long Chili
(Sun-dried mild red chilies, toasted)
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander Seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground White Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Red Shallots
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Lemongrass
- 2 teaspoons Galangal Root
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander Root
- 1 Kaffir Lime
(for 2 teaspoons grated kaffir lime peel)
- 1 teaspoon Thai shrimp paste
1) In a flat frying pan over low heat, toast the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and dried red chilies until lightly browned and flavorful.
2) Grind the chilies, the dry seeds and spices, and the salt until very fine.
3) Prepare the fresh herbs by chopping, grating, and cutting until all very fine.
4) Combine it all and grind until you have a smooth paste, then add the shrimp paste and mash it in until everything is well blended and you have a smooth, dark red paste.
For more detailed information and a free video lesson, visit this web page: ThaiCookbook.tv/?rid=116